Rice University East Servery
Rice University East Servery is the dining facility for the Will Rice and Lovett Colleges, with future expansion planned for the Sid Richardson College dormitory. Hopkins Architects of London served as design architects in collaboration with HEWV + Company as architects of record.
The structural steel frame is expressed as part of the window wall and ceiling finishes, with carefully detailed thermal breaks to mitigate moisture issues in this humid climate. The steel trusses, with under-slung struts and tie rods, are accentuated below the backdrop of a wood-paneled ceiling. These elements support the roof in a manner similar to an archer's bow. The "bows" are crossed in plan, giving rigidity to the rectangular form and are drawn taut at their bases by stainless steel cables. At night, the structure illuminates the adjacent quad.
Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas + Company
with Hopkins Architects
More Academic Projects
- Rice University South Colleges Expansion
- University of Texas at Austin Alumni Center
- St. Edward's University Trustee Hall
- St. Edward's University Doyle Hall
- New Mexico State University Center for the Arts
- 2400 Nueces
- St. Edward's University Munday Library
- St. Stephen's Episcopal School Booth Student Center + Temple Dining Hall