Rice University South Colleges Expansion
Rice University South Colleges Expansion is the Phase II execution of a master plan for student housing by Hopkins Architects of London. Hopkins also served as the design architect for the south colleges, working with HEWV + Company as the architect of record. The project includes renovations at Baker College, Lovett College and Will Rice College, as well as new dormitory buildings at Baker and Will Rice. A new student food service addition completes the multi-building scope of work.
The two new dormitories share a material palette of brick and exposed cast-in-place concrete, used in a modern architectural expression. Structures for the dormitory buildings include conventionally-reinforced concrete flat slabs that enable shallow floor-to-floor heights with exposed concrete floors and ceilings. Double-wythe brick walls enclose the exterior stairs for both buildings.
Dormitories – 94,000 s.f.
Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas + Company
with Hopkins Architects
More Academic Projects
- Rice University East Servery
- University of Texas at Austin Alumni Center
- St. Edward's University Trustee Hall
- St. Edward's University Doyle Hall
- New Mexico State University Center for the Arts
- 2400 Nueces
- St. Edward's University Munday Library
- St. Stephen's Episcopal School Booth Student Center + Temple Dining Hall